Friday, April 29, 2011

A Year Already?!


Happy Birthday to Me!

On May 2nd of this year; I will have held the status of capsuleer for a year.  Wow.  It’s the only word that comes to mind when I think about it.  The thought is a little amazing and a little scary at the same time.  Especially since I personally did not think that I would last this long in the game. 

If you had the opportunity to listen to me guest host on Episode 23 of Eve Commune; you would have head the story of my first (and hopefully only) rage quit… which happened 3 days into my trial.  I know, it’s pretty freaking sad.  In my defense the Exploration Tutorial is the work of Satan.  I doubt my stance on that will ever change.

Still, even after that initial rage quit; I’m here and I’m still kicking ass in my own special way.  My personality really doesn’t allow most things to get the better of me when it comes to the long haul.  I was pissed at the time and a few days after even.  Eventually  the desire to kick this game ass reared up.

So I sit here with my 16 million skill points and… I still find myself with same feeling of n00b-ness that I had during my first few weeks. 

I look at the ships I fly, which are still mostly frigate, cruiser and battlecruiser classes (just fit my first Maelstrom yesterday) and wonder if I should be flying something “better”.  I look at my skill cue and realize how many things I’m -still- missing or just started training like cynofield theory, advanced weapons upgrade and the booster skill set. 

Will this Feeling Ever Go Away?

The EVE Online Universe is so vast.  It’s something that I both love and hate about this game at the same time.  There’s so much to learn, experience and explore in this game that I wonder if I’ll ever get a chance to touch upon it all.  There’s so much to this game, to this world that after a year of intense, nearly daily game play with hardly any skill training lapses that after an entire year… I still feel the same way I did when I first logged on to the game. 

I still get that excited flutter in my gut when a red spike in system.  I still get that flush of excitement when I seen faction or officer spawns.  I continue to be amazed at the site of titans and when I’m sitting 2000m off them I zoom in to remind myself just how big it is when compared to my crow, saber or even drake.  There are even days when I press esc and log out just to watch the open cinematic, squealing with girlish delight when I see the iris of the unknown capsuleer fade on to my screen.

I think that is what makes EVE Online the ultimate Sci-Fi experience.  Those moments in the game where the intensity of your experience is so great that it causes you to react on a level deeper than ‘press button; receive bacon’ are what make EVE Online such a unique and awesome experience.  When I think about in these terms; I don’t think I ever want to stop being a n00b. 

So a toast to the n00bs of New Eden.  May you always fly free and may your joy of gaming be everlasting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment